Spring is indeed a good time to start digging and growing plants although you can start off with the planning process even before the snow melts. All gardeners spend most of their summer season in weeding, watering and watching the young seedlings grow into bigger plants. Fall is indeed a good time to plant trees, bulbs, shrubs and some other perennials. If you too are a lover of plants and you wish to start your own garden at home, you need to follow the steps to start off with one within the boundaries of your home. But whenever you think of decorating your home with a garden, do you fall short of guidance about the ways of enhancing the look of your garden with the right furniture and giving it a new look? If answered yes, the concerns of this article will help you with the smart steps to design a garden. Have a look at them.
- Mark off the place: When you’re making your new garden, you should try your best to give it the most appropriate look. You can add a fun shape with some flowing curves and you can even use it as a boundary to echo the lines of your house. You can just get it right by laying out a hose to outline the bed of plants. Once you achieve the perfect shape, you can start making the edges with a line of flour and sand.
- Remove the grass: In case you have grass growing in the garden, spot it as soon as possible and dig it up with a sod cutter or a spade. Or if you have enough time, you can mow the area as low as it can be mowed and then cover it with thick layer of newspaper and several inches of soil. Then you can wait for a couple of months so that the grass can die.
- Dig the soil: Now comes the time to dig up the soil. Dig it up and remove any roots, rocks or debris. In case the quality of the soil is not good enough, this is also the best time to incorporate organic matter like compost. Just dig the soil while you work on the ground.
- Make an edge for the bed: Make sure you keep the lawn from crawling into the garden by making a good sharp edge. Make a trench of about 8 inches deep and a few inches wide and this will bar even the worse of invaders from crossing the boundary. You can also alternatively sink an edging material through the perimeter of the garden.
- Place your plants: Although this takes a lot of time but placing your plants before you directly place then in the ground makes a huge difference. You can estimate the right spacing and thereby make your plants look really neat when they grow next to each other.
Hence, if you dream of creating your own garden house, follow the tips mentioned above as they can help you in realizing your wish. Ensure choosing the best plants that will make your garden look beautiful.