When it comes to driving, most car owners are interested in consuming less fuel but few actually know what needs to be done. Eco friendly driving and safer driver is something you need to know, with so many things that you can do in order to protect nature and consume less fuel. All the tips below help you achieve just that.
Before You Drive
- Make sure tires are inflated properly as this helps tire last longer, will improve gas mileage and will increase vehicle safety.
- Only use recommended motor oil grade.
- Check tire alignment at professional auto shops that offer alignment Lakewood co services.
- Engines need to be properly tuned. Whenever there is an emissions test fail or something seems wrong, take the car to the mechanic.
- Always replace air filters when they have to be changed. Dirty or clogged filters can reduce gas mileage by around 10%.
- Plan a route that is short and that saves as much gas as possible. This reduces car wear and tear and helps you save fuel.
As You Are Driving
- Avoid speeding since gas mileage will rapidly decline when going over 60 miles per hour.
- Aggressive driving should also be avoided as it will waste gas by even 33% when driving on the highway.
- Idling should be reduced as much as possible.
- If the vehicle has a cruise control feature, take advantage of it as much as you can.
- Overdrive gears have to be used to lower the speed of your engine, reduce wear and save gas.
When You Have To Commute
- Try to change work hours in order to avoid rush driving hours. This allows consuming less fuel and you can also avoid so much extra stress.
- If possible, take full advantage of ride share and carpool programs.
- When you can, use public transportation.
- Telecommuting is a very good option to reduce driving altogether.
When You Take A Trip
- Try to avoid carrying items on the roof of your car since this increases the aerodynamic drag. Mileage ends up cut by around five percent.
- Always travel as light as you can. If you avoid heavy items you do not need you can easily reduce gas mileage.
- Whenever renting cars, go for models that offer the best possible fuel economy.
When Buying A New Car
- Gas mileage is one of the most important things to consider as you purchase a new vehicle.
- If possible, do consider hybrid purchases. This offers tax deductions in many countries and the emissions are drastically reduced.
All the tips mentioned above are going to help you out a lot if you want to do your part to save the environment. However, you can always take everything one step further. For instance, whenever you can, just walk to the destination you have instead of driving. This helps so much more than you might imagine at first glance. It is always a very good idea to just look for alternatives. The way in which you drive your car will have a great impact on emissions and fuel consumption, just like the car you drive.