Once upon a time home offices were considered as nothing but luxury items but in today’s tough economy and competitive environment, we see too many layoffs and downsizings of corporate offices which had pushed many people to run their businesses from their homes. Although it is true that working from your home office might lead to conflicts with roommates or family members but the benefits outweigh the cons. Due to all the types of things that you can do online, this is perhaps the cheapest time to work from home.
If you’ve been wondering about the benefits of designing a home office, here are few points that you should keep in mind.
- You save money and time: Since you don’t have to commute to office any longer, you will be able to save those transportation costs. Moreover due to the fact that you can start working at any odd hour of the day, for instance at 6 am and work till 11 pm at night, you will also save time elsewhere. You don’t have to eat out for lunch and hence lots of money can be saved.
- Boosts your home value: According to an article at archute.com, one more benefit of home offices is that it enhances the value of your homes as future homebuyers agree to pay that extra amount when they find a home with an office. They can spend at least 4% more.
- Tax perks: You can opt for a tax deduction when you work from home. If you have a clean separation between household and office, you’re certainly going to qualify for deduction.
Prepping your home office to create a work-friendly environment
With the energy-efficient additions and the trend of transforming architecture, you can always jazz up the look of your home office and also reduce its ecological footprint.
- Summer cooling: If you can shade your windows, this will block off the heat of the sun and once you do this, your home office will remain cool. If you can install vertical screens, this can block the setting sun and also the rising sun. Just as there are different types of roof windows that you can install, similarly there are also various shades which you can choose from while designing your home office windows.
- Winter warmth: Insulation offers best ROI especially when you’re looking forward to make your home office warmer. It not only keeps the heat inside during winter but also keeps the heat out during summer. Insulation is a must.
- Right coat of paint: Painting is the easiest way of jazzing up your home office. Utilize low-emission paints which have 0 levels of organic compounds that are volatile. This will let you paint in an eco-friendly manner and reduce the ecological footprint.
- Energy consumption: There are few energy-saving power boards, plug timers and foot switches which you can use to implement saving of energy.
Hence, now that you’re aware of how you can jazz up your home office in order to give it an ecological transformation, take immediate steps of action.