The heat of summer is upon us, and that means folks are cranking up the AC, making an extra batch of ice, and generally burning energy 24-7. But we need all need to continue to try to conserve as much energy as possible to save resources and slow the march of global warming. And we get to save money at the same time– nice one!
Here are the eight easy things we can all do at home to cut our energy consumption.
1. Keep your home at an eco-conscious temperature. 78 degrees is plenty cool in the house. You can contact an air conditioning Western Sydney service, if you need cooling that is perfectly suited for your home. Turn down the AC and get a programmable thermostat so you’re only cooling the house when you really need to. You may check out these AC services in Plano options to inspect your AC and see if it’s in great shape so it doesn’t increase your electric bill too much. Companies like Mullins Mechanical can send a professional technician to your home if your need a local HVAC specialist in Garland, TX. Regular ac repair and ac tune up from the residential ac repair services near you will ensure that your unit is running at its maximum energy-efficiency.
2. Work with the sun to keep your house cool. Close all shutters and blinds during the day to keep the sun out– then open windows at night to cool the house and feel the breeze (if you have any!).
3. Let the air dry your dishes and clothes. The dryer and dish washer use a lot of energy– and the air does the drying job just as well. Plus your clothes will last longer. See some great clothes-drying racks here.
4. Take shorter showers and do not take baths. Hot water heating is one of the major uses of energy in any home. Showers are the way to go– and keep ’em short. Baths use much more water and heat than do baths (unless you’re taking 30 minute showers!). You can also look into solar hot water. Make sure also that your plumbing system is in good condition. If not look for a service that offers plumbing job such as drain cleaning. Experts like this plumber in Los Gatos, CA can help.
5. Ditch the beer fridge. It’s amazing how many homes have two refrigerators. Please do not use more than one fridge. And if you have an old model, get a newer Energy Star model.
6. Use ceiling fans. They are much more energy-efficient and you can get very reasonably priced Energy Star models.
7. Get solar screens for your windows. These screens cut 75% of the heat coming through your windows, but don’t impact your visibility. They are really great energy savers. See solar screens here.
8. Spend one night each week in candlelight. It’s romantic, fun and inspires new conversation, check the best scented candles on amazon at the link. If you’ve got kids, how about turning off the TV one night and playing a board game by candlelight? Clue would be particularly spooky!